Friday, June 30, 2006

It's a Bird...

Today's quote: You wrote that the world doesn't need a saviour, but every day I hear people crying for one.

Like countless other fans, I went to see Superman. Despite the two leading men being extremely easy on the eyes, and an ok plot with very decent acting, I was actually disappointed. Why? I'm all for the modern-day superhero being all sensitive and everything, but it's a little different if you're chipping away at the actual identity or perception people have of the superhero. Of course, this is just my opinion. Perhaps I'm disappointed from having seen Superman as a little girl and forming an image of his invincibility, and then being confronted with something a little different here. It's always been Superman, Man of Steel with the love of his life, Lois Lane.

***Superman Spoiler Alert***



But this movie portrays him differently. He's still as hot as ever, but what's this? Lois Lane has shacked up with someone else?! And she has a kid?!!!! Granted, you find out that it's Superman's kid. You sort of always think of Lois Lane as a feisty Ms. Uber-Reporter. You don't really think of her as having settled for someone else because Superman is gone, and then going on to write a Pulitzer Prize-winning article titled "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman." She appears to have very deep issues as to feeling abandoned by Superman. At least the movie didn't muck it up with adultery. The characters are all very noble and have their shining sterling-silver integrity intact. My main point? The movie was good, yes. However, it left me feeling frustrated because things didn't seem the way they should be. For one, where was the chemistry between Superman and Lois? Where was the depth? The characters seemed somewhat flat and two-dimensional. Yes, I know it's partly about character reinvention so that we, the audience, can see a new side of them and love them more for it. I'm just not sure that I'm lovin' it, and I'm not so sure that it's working.