Sunday, June 11, 2006

Barely Above Water

Today's quote: Dad, I'm prairie dogging it!

Ok, so I've been working at this company for about 2 weeks now as one of their bottom-feeding data entry bots. My vision is deteriorating from staring at the computer screen for so long every day, my back and shoulders hurt constantly, and I'm developing carpal tunnel, I kid you not. Oh, and at night I see invoices and computer screens floating in my vision. The only thing I can say is that I have some flexibility at my craptastic barely-better-than-minimum-wage job, which is more than I can say for the last f/t job I had. Of course, the last f/t job I had paid more than twice as much, and had the most awesome kick-ass benefits.

Just two more weeks to stick it out, and then we'll see if it pays off. In the meanwhile, I think this is the most unhappy I have ever been in my entire life. At least my coworkers seem fun. Sorta. Their personalities are pretty unique, as you'll see down below.

The brain: there is not yet a subject that I have heard this guy say he doesn't know at least something about. He has an opinion on everything, including whether your opinion is misguided or not. At least he can hold intelligent conversations on almost anything. Interesting tidbit of info: he thinks that basketball is the most stupid and non-strategy-involved major sport.

The Russian chick: so far I have little to really see from her, other than the fact that it's kinda cool that she speaks Russian. I think she was born in Uzbekistan, not totally sure. She also seems to be the buffer b/t the two guys.

The red-head: has extremely red hair, and the typical pale skin that accompanies such hair. He also seems to have his fair share of the stereotypical temper attributed to those of that particular pigmentation. Has been in the army for an unknown length of time, and is somewhat of a goofball. Likes to debate frequently with the brain, even on subjects he doesn't really know much about.

Listening to their frequent debates keeps me amused for part of the time, as does their occasional odd antics. So far I've seen the brain throw a paperclip at the Russian chick, to which she responded by throwing a tissue box. For some reason, this made me think of my torts professor saying "disproportionate retaliation!"