Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Girls + video games

Today's quote: The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don't wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules.

I've been at the new job for two weeks now. It's really great to be a part of the gainfully employed working force. Hell, it's just nice to have somewhere to go everyday. It was starting to get embarrassing telling people what I did all day when they asked. "Um, I wake up whenever I want, and then start playing WoW. It's how I got my rank 13 title."

I always get mixed reactions when people hear that from me. Some people, like my sister, think that I've been hit with the "loser" bat and don't want to have anything to do with me. Others, mostly guys, think that it's pretty cool. I was at the UPS store a couple of days ago to return a defective video card that I'd purchased for the BC expansion. The box wasn't packaged yet, so the guy saw what I was returning.

UPS Guy: Is that your video card?
Me: Yep.
UPS Guy: Is it for any game in particular?
Me: Yeah, I play WoW. (trying to not blush embarrassedly)
UPS Guy: Wow. You have officially beaten the stereotype.

I do remember one instance of talking to a gaming store employee. We got into a rather heated debate over the virtues of WoW vs. Guild Wars. I've tried both, and I found Guild Wars lacking. Granted, I'll admit that I didn't try it beyond a couple of weeks, but overall it was not as multi-faceted as WoW is.

Anyway, the guy was a total advocate for Guild Wars. We were arguing for about 20 minutes, with my friend as an amused witness. So far, I see that WoW has surpassed 8M subscribers, whereas Guild Wars has posted over 2M games sold. I'm just going to point out the fact that the number of people playing Guild Wars is not likely to be the same as the games sold, since it's not based on a subscription service like WoW is. I know of plenty of people like myself who bought Guild Wars, only to discard it a little later in disgust. Too bad I can't go back to that gaming store and visit the guy.