Sunday, October 17, 2004

Break is the start of a break-up

I was stealing some time away from studying yesterday and decided to turn on my tv and see if it still worked. It's been so long since I watched tv that I almost forgot how it has sound and color. I totally miss watching my shows: Survivor, CSI, Friends, Apprentice, Gilmore Girls, Simpsons, Smallville, and Real World.

So I happened to catch and episode of Real World on MTV (that show is like reading the tabloids for me), and it was one of the new episodes in Philadelphia. The really pretty black girl on the show, Shavonda, was talking on the phone with her bf, Shawn. She was telling him that she wanted to take a break, because she didn't want to have to think about his feelings at every moment. Of course, it's because she has a crush on one of the guys in the house. Understandably, her bf was pretty pissed off.

I was thinking, uh, that's part of what having a boyfriend means! Just because you're not together doesn't mean that you're free to scope out other people as potential flings while you're away from each other. If you think that you can see someone else and think that your boyfriend will wait patiently for you to come back after having done the nasty with your fling, you better think seriously about your relationship and whether you really care about that person. To me, if a person asks for a break they may as well just ask for a break-up and get it over with. I've rarely heard of couples that managed to survive these "breaks" (which are really excuses for one of the people in the relationship to go sleep with someone else they think is hot and still reserve their right to their significant other) since invariably one person goes and has sex with someone else which ends up totally ruining the relationship.

And then, after her boyfriend tried to reason with Shavonda to no avail, says "Fine, then I'm not going to talk to you anymore." He hangs up on her, and she starts swearing like crazy. I'm just staring at the tv, wondering what the hell was wrong with her. She got what she wanted, now she's free to do whatever she wants. If she seriously thought she could have her cake and eat it too she was completely delusional.

Watching that episode was a sad moment for my belief that women are nicer in relationships than men.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe in Swing

Side note: http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,65392,00.html

I believe you don't need this product and people who do are f'ing dorks. TV does not ruin lives, people ruin lives.