Saturday, October 16, 2004

Football and tailgating

One day I am going to run over some stupid drunk person right after a football game. As I was driving home today, I was making a right turn when this idiot crossed the street right in front of me, causing me to slam on my brakes and swear like a trucker. Did he have some kind of death wish?! Not only that, but he was chatting away blithely on his cell, never minding the fact that he had just stepped out in front of oncoming traffic.

I don't really understand the whole tailgating thing. Even though I went to a big college for undergrad that loved football too , drinking was not such an essential element of the experience. I just don't really see the appeal of getting drunk at 7am. And I especially resent getting woken up at 6:30am on Saturday morning by these football fanatics setting up camp everywhere on the lawns.

When the game is over, it gets even better, with the hordes of drunken people staggering about, walking plain in the middle of the street, and then getting angry at you because you're trying to drive through their midst. Sometimes they'll even slap and kick my car as I'm going by. One day, I'm going to snap and floor the gas pedal.

I never really had anything against football before, but I sure as heck do now. As our crim law teacher put it, "I hate football."

No comments: