Sunday, December 19, 2004

The hazards of travel

Ok, so I flew out to visit a friend on Saturday before I go home for the holidays. On the first leg of the flight, it was late getting off the ground, causing me to be late for the connecting flight. That was ok, since the connecting flight was delayed too, although I had a rough minute there when I was worried the plane had departed without me. It was delayed for 1.5 hours. But that wasn't the worst of it, nuh-uh.

There was this heinous little brat girl sitting directly behind me on the second leg of the flight, constantly kicking my chair and screaming at the top of my lungs. Lord knows that I wanted to kick someone and scream at the top of my lungs, especially when I had to endure it for 3 hours (turning around and glaring did nothing). At one point the little girl even said, "Oh she has pretty hair!" and then she grabbed my hair. At this point, I'm realizing that the stupid mom would probably let her daughter get away with murder, because she says, "Shhh, honey, don't let the lady notice what you did." I'm thinking, uh, excuse me??? Your brat kid just mauled my scalp, and you think there was a remote possibility that I didn't notice that? Good god. I think I hate children. I know all of you will think that I'm some kind of monster for saying that, but I am so sick of people letting their ill-mannered children get away with all this crap. Whatever happened to teaching your children to be polite? To say thank-you? To not go around grabbing things, especially not the hair of strangers??? What comes to mind is an episode of Sex and the City, where Samantha has a confrontation with a woman and her brat kid in a restaurant. I guess I don't really hate children, I just hate the stupid parents who think that their kids are always wonderful and can never do anything wrong. Give me a fucking break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha Iowa Law Girl, you really ran into some unpleasantness on the plane! The same happened to me, except that the parent was excellent. The kid was probably not even 3.5 yet (and he knew how to take instructions!) and after the dad explained to him that he shouldn't be kicking the chair, he actually stopped~ I reall respected and appreciated his dad for it.

H.