Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Shady's Back

Today's quote: Once you go black; you'll need a wheelchair.

Yes, yes, I know it's been a while. First, I was just taking a break and doing other things. Then, I fell off a swing and sprained two fingers, so it's been a bit of a bitch trying to type. With two swollen fingers, it's interesting trying to keep up with lectures. Half the time I'm not able to, so my notes seem like a bunch of incoherent ramblings. (Ha, not so different from this blog?)

Looking through the comments, I found one notable: http://www.criminalcheck.com/.

It seems a bit shocking to me that this exists, isn't this some sort of invasion of privacy? I have very conflicted feelings about the whole notifying the authorities every time a sex offender moves and all that. The fair side of me feels that even criminals have rights which should not be violated. But my more honest reaction is that criminals should burn in hell for what they did. Basically, if you don't act like a decent human being, why should you expect to be treated like one? Sure, it all depends on the level of their transgression, and some people do deserve a second chance. But you know the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." To me it seems that the more serious the offense, the less probable it should be to get a second chance for fear of a repeat. If there was a repeat murder it would be with very grave consequences, whereas letting someone convicted of larceny have a second chance isn't quite so bad. Not quite so life-threateningly serious if they have a chance at a repeat. Of course, things are so rarely black and white, and it's a very murky area to work with.