Saturday, April 16, 2005

Zzzzz....

Today's quote: You were banished because you were clumsy?

That sounds like it could have been me.

Anyway, I didn't look at my blog for a few days, and when I came back I found a deluge of comments to read. I think it's very entertaining to read what people have had to say, although the subject is assuredly not funny. I was talking about it with one of my friends, who unfortunately was a victim of a sex offender and she thinks that such people never fully recover. I look at her, and then I look at my dad, who lost two fingers in a boating accident, and I tend to agree. She described the main problem as being that you never fully shake off the feeling of being forever tainted, or dirty. My father on the other hand, just expresses wistfully that sometimes he wishes he had his fingers back, but their absence doesn't impair his living too badly. Since I always grew up with him like that, it just seemed normal to me, and since they're from his left hand, his writing abilities haven't even been diminished.
Maybe it's like trying to compare apples with oranges, but to me it seems that my father has coped as well as possible, whereas the same could not be said of my friend.

I think part of the whole red-hot controversy is that sex is so taboo as a subject in the US, and this makes it seem all the more shocking when children are the ones who have been violated in such a manner. We all seem to buy into the idea that children should be innocent for as long as possible, and we really go after those who dare to take away such a precious privilege of childhood. And then again, it's always going to be those who have experienced such a terrible thing, and those of us who have not. The view that such unfortunates have will always be different because their lives have been altered forever.

Um, it's going to be finals soon...I really hate school.