Thursday, January 27, 2005

Law school and the Art of War

My best friend says I'm crazy for trying to apply the principles of the Art of War by Sun-Tzu to law school. I don't see why he's so surprised that I would come up with the idea, when he's the one who loaned me a book over the break about an epic samurai who spends his life looking for the Way of the Samurai. If the hero can use the Way to learn about himself, why can't I?

First chapter: Initial Estimations
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

I don't think I'm totally nutters to think that our time in law school can be characterized as a type of practice warfare. Perhaps we do not go to class with swords and shields, but we carry the shields of our preparations to survive the onslaught of a professor calling on us. A professor spends his/her time probing us carefully, searching for the flaws or weaknesses in order to carefully hone and refine our grasp on the material. Is this not preparation for the "warfare" we will face after we leave school to enter the real world in whatever profession we choose?

No comments: