Ok, I found this career services meeting much more helpful than the last time. Honestly, the last session was simply a waste of time which also garnered me a parking ticket because the woman took the opportunity to try some of her stand-up.
This time it was a lot better since we actually learned something useful: we got a list of potential firms coming, plus we were shown how to sign up for OCI and given a bunch of deadlines. Of course, the woman could not resist going off on her little lectures to us, where she could have said something in two sentences and instead spends 5 minutes giving us all of the examples of what stupid people did. Honestly, if you don't want people to do something, tell them not to do it, don't give them ideas or tell them how to DO it.
- Firms make offers on a rolling basis, so the minute you get a flyback, take it.
- Give 2 days notice if you cancel an interview, otherwise you end up on a blacklist. There are certain excused absences.
- Go to Career Services for ranking, they can help you approximate your ranking.
- If your grades are not up to par for what a firm requires, you better have a good reason to offer them for why you set up an interview with them.
- Mock Interview sign-up is Monday, January 24 at 9am.
- If there is a change in scheduling with an interview, it needs to be initialed by the career services staff, since in the past people have been known to cross off their classmates' names from the list of interviews. There was a stir in the room when the woman said this, and I was sitting there thinking, oh come on. Is this really something to gasp about? Sure, no one I know would be that mean, but it's a given that there are those psycho people out there who would step on their grandmother's back to get ahead. Even at Iowa Law.