Wednesday, March 02, 2005

How about a big helping of manners..

Today's quote: Shut up! SHUT THE FUCK UP! Shut up! Shut, shut, shut, shut, SHUT UP! Are you threatening me?

I often wonder about people who just interrupt you while you're talking. You can be talking to someone, and they just come up to the person you're talking to, and start talking to them as if you aren't there. Are these people incapable of common courtesy, or are they really that oblivious to your presence? What should I say to these rude people?

For me, it's not one of those things that I can just say, "Excuse me, I was talking." It almost doesn't seem worth it to say, because then it feels like you're making a big deal out of nothing. But what if someone does it to you repeatedly? Are they really unable to reform bad habits, or are they doing it intentionally? I guess it's just one of those little annoying things that are present in life that you just have to live with, or confront the issue and risk having other people think that you're over-sensitive. Either way, it seems like I lose.

It's one of those things that I would almost never do myself, like chew with my mouth open (ugh don't get me started on that), unless it was a dire emergency. I'd still say the typical "I'm sorry for interrupting, but I'm in a hurry..."
It just seems so shocking to me, because I have always been brought up to respect the fact that other people are talking, and to politely wait my turn. Times like this, I think I'm just too wussy for law school. As a future lawyer, I should get ready to run over other people and get my shots in, not be the doormat that always gets run over.