Thursday, February 24, 2005

Best/Worst Devil?

Today's quote: Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Wal-mart. Everyone has something to say about it. Either they love, love, love the low prices every day, or they're likely to kick you in the shins for shopping there.

Ok, I'll admit it. I go there occasionally. Yes, I sometimes give $ to what is arguably one of the worst devils since the Dollar Store. Actually, I think the Dollar Store still has Wal-Mart beaten for the rate at which they kill off all the local businesses, but I do think Wal-Mart treats their workers the worst and has the most number of lawsuits and controversy surrounding it.

Sorry Mom and Dad, there's really nothing else to shop at for convenience unless I drive all the way to Target. I have done that a few times, but sometimes I'm just too lazy and I'm in a hurry. My parents own one of those struggling businesses that Wal-Mart is trying to kill off.

Here's what one commentor wrote:
-->>Nothing like the most profitable retailer in America getting over $1 billion in subsidies from the government so it can go into towns, drive out local businesses, habitually pay their workers less than a living wage (forcing them to shop at Wal-Mart) and their female workers even less. I'd go into more about the sweatshops, anti-union activity, concealing documents during lawsuits, and censorship of music and written materials for sale in the store, but I'd just end up being more annoying.<<--

And the reply:
-->> If you don't like it, don't shop there. You can go to the hippy mart and subsidize a $20/hr cashier.

Assume Wal Mart opens in some dinky town -- suddenly 5,000 people are saving millions annually, Wal Mart provides jobs, and pays taxes. So a few businesses can't compete? 4,995 people are still better off than they were before.

I think Wal Mart is trailer trash, but I enjoy the low prices, thanks.<<--


Here's an idea of how often Wal-Mart is sued: almost once every two hours, every day. Obviously, their strategy is that of complete and utter annihilation, because it's been noted that they pursue suits even when it would be cheaper to settle. I think that if I had to do corporate law, this would be the most exciting thing to do: be one of the puny Davids trying to take down a Goliath.
An Industry Built Around Suing Walmart, the Most Popular Target of Private Lawsuits

Jury awards $7.5M verdict against Walmart

Pay Gap Between Sexes

Juicy Details Over Sex Discrimination

Deleting Hours, No Breaks, General Shady Practices?

City Pays to Withstand Walmart