Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Stand up sir, stand up.

Today's quote: Are you a model or a cop?

Sitting in civ pro today, I actually felt sorry for the professor. I almost wanted to tell him to stand up for himself, and don't let us run over him. You know what happens, give an inch, they take a mile. I felt rather sad, because I think we take advantage of his good nature, seen in any number of ways: how we end up not being prepared for class; people come and go all the time, often coming back with food, and then talking with mouth full when called on.

Is it just me who felt mildly outraged over the fact that a student actually asserted estoppel about the no-class-every-third-week policy? I always assumed that the policy would of course be subject to his discretion. Of course, I've gotta hand it to the student for saying that, b/c it certainly took some balls. But at the same time, the fact that the professor gave in seemed to me like one concession too many. I've had my share of teaching, and from past experience the teacher is constantly reasserting boundaries upon the students. This has to be done firmly, or the students end up running wild.

We all know that we would never show up so unprepared to other classes, and I truly believe that we are shamefully exploiting one of the nicest teachers we've had.