Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Ghettofabulous!

So this morning at 2:30am, I'm thinking, oh I should get my suit out and make sure everything fits for the interview I have today. So I put it on, everything is good, except the pants are too long, by about 2 inches. I'm thinking, no worries, I'm not a bad hand at tailoring. I go and find the needles, of which I have 45. Then it was, Houston, we have a problem. No thread. No thread!!!! I'm turning my entire apartment upside down, racing back and forth like my demented dog, and couldn't find any thread. By this time, it's 2:50. I'm screaming, "@#&%$!!!!!!" And then a bolt of inspiration hits me. I run to my bathroom cabinet, and pull out the floss. Yes, ladies and gents, it was the only thing resembling thread in my entire apartment. It was going to be that or the fishing line spool I have for no apparent reason. I decided to go with the floss. So, I can proudly say that my pants cuffs of my suit today are held up by minty-green floss. I know, I'm so ghettofabulous, aren't I?

Today's quote: Sometimes you gotta grab life by the haunches and hump it into submission.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I applaud your creativity, and also would like to add that duct tape can do the trick as well for those of us who don't sew or don't floss. :) I know someone who actually has them taped up permanantly and it stays through the laundry and everything...

Anonymous said...

That's brilliant! I never would have thought of using floss

me. said...

Nice work there!

Ideas I personally have used to "mend" un-sewn or busted pants hems (just in case you ever run out of floss... ;):

Staples.

Duct, masking, invisible tape.

Safety pins.

Wear very, very tall shoes (we're talking clear-healed 3-inch street-walkin-shoes... You'd be surprised how little people notice your feet when you've got a tailored suit on)

I've even cuffed mine and pulled it off, in a pinch...

However, I don't recommend that last as the last time I did, the pants came un-cuffed, hooked on my high-heel and sent me face first into the cheap indoor/outdoor carpeting of my office space at the time!

Anonymous said...

FYI--- Walmart is open 24 hours...

Arbusto said...

Not always. The nearest Wal-marts to me here in St. Paul are only open 'til 10 pm. Also, they are the worst wal-marts in the world.

Anonymous said...

What does "ghettofabulous" mean?

Anonymous said...

Very resourceful! I'm impressed! =)
--FMBA MJD

hufflepuffer said...

I actually already have high heels. When I said that they were 2 inches too long, that was with my 2.5 inch heels already on. They were going to have to be hemmed, or somehow I would have had to pull up the pants to the bottom of my chest, except these slacks have no belt loops. Plus I would have looked like some crazy person with my pants up so high.